Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I've got space and I've got time...

Months and years past of train ticket machines click-click-clashing my passage to and from a place that I knew was my home. I took a train again this morning in a sweater two sizes too large for me, and stared out a frostbitten window knowing that I don't know where that home is anymore.

And, far more significantly, knowing that it's alright to not know.

I expect that having figured everything out at the age of 23 would make for a horribly dull, albeit easier and more manageable existence. I could be wrong, of course, so if there's a 20-something (or 30, or 40, or ever 50-something for that matter) out there who believes that they've obtained such clarity, please send me an e-mail...I'd love to hear all about it.

So, for the time being, I'm unsure as to what direction this is all going in, and I mean that in the broadest sense possible. Past, present and future blogs, schools, careers, homes, shoes, cigarettes, planes, trains, automobiles, holidays - you name it, I've probably not quite figured it out. And the great clarity I've been seeking for a longer time than I would like to recollect kicks in when I remind myself that it's not something I even want. I'm in love with not knowing, and for right now that's good enough.
I saw the coupling of love and the modification of death; I saw the Aleph from every point and angle, and in the Aleph I saw the earth and in the earth the Aleph and in the Aleph the earth; I saw my own face and my own bowels; I saw your face; and I felt dizzy and wept, for my eyes had seen that secret and conjectured object whose name is common to all men but which no man has looked upon -- the unimaginable universe.

I felt infinite wonder, infinite pity.

(Excerpt from one of my favourite short stories which is concerned with close to the same topic, only far more elegantly...
The Aleph by Jorge Luis Borges)

6 comments:

leeselooks said...

hi beauty.

sending all my love + wishes your way.

happy holidays!
glad to know you are okay, everyone loves you!!!

x.

Kate said...

You are a brilliant writer. Wow!

FASHION CHALET said...

I love your writing :)
change Modern Guilt's link in my blog roll to here, love.

x

I miss your photos though..

Unknown said...

happy holidays! thankfuly i found your blog, i was having a panicattack feeling when i saw you are gone! you are really missed and loved and hope you are okay!
lots of love and hugs from finland and i put this to blogroll! :)

meg said...

"And, far more significantly, knowing that it's alright to not know.

I expect that having figured everything out at the age of 23 would make for a horribly dull, albeit easier and more manageable existence. I could be wrong, of course, so if there's a 20-something (or 30, or 40, or ever 50-something for that matter) out there who believes that they've obtained such clarity, please send me an e-mail...I'd love to hear all about it."

Darling - the thing is, is that from that first sentence you already know everything you need to know and already have all the tools to continue enjoying the PROCESS of life.
As Lisa said, "Chin up, Boobs Out".

I'M SO GLAD YOU ARE MY BLOGGIN' FRIEND! XOXOXOXOXOXO!!!!

TEXTSTYLES said...

i was wondering.......
i see you

bisous